Pages

Monday 16 June 2014

Salt Dough

As little bear gets older, I imagine salt dough will be a regular activity. He still isn't very interested in playing with it himself but likes to watch me. He had great fun looking at the cutters and throwing them on the floor (favourite thing at the moment).



I use 1 cup of salt, 1 cup of plain flour and up to 1 cup of water to make a dough.

The first time I made it, bear was only 4 weeks old. I wanted a record of his tiny hands and feet (not really tiny, he was a healthy 8lb 1 when he was born) but couldn't afford £30-50 to get a cast done in, for example, John Lewis. It's not perfect and took forever to dry so I now put them in a low oven (not as frugal). But it is still a memento.


One thing I realised from doing this one is it need varnishing otherwise it seems to suck up moisture from the air and go soft (pva glue is fine).

I have also made 5 little ducks, ready to go swimming and a rainbow. The red piece was still a bit soft when I gave it to little bear and he snapped it in two. Next time I make salt dough, I'll replace it. 



I want to try colouring the dough before it's cooked to see if they then don't need painting, 



No comments:

Post a Comment